Thursday, May 16, 2019

Buenos Dias Mi Amigo

So yesterday after I had day dreamed a while about heading to Denali on a cross canada road trip, only 80 driving hours, I thought to myself, where else is 'in range'?

I pondered where I would go and what I would do. Quickly my thoughts moved to Mexico, specifically to a place described by Randy Leavitt in an episode of the enormocast, El Potrero Chico. Situated just west of Monterey, in the beautiful and mountainous region of the country, this hidden gem is only 31 hours from my home state, 2k miles. There's even a little camp and a guide service apparently.

I need to do more research on the routes, the best time of year to go, and the potential hazards other than the climb itself. But I feel as if this is an adventure which is 'in range', although it begs the question, what else is effectively 'in range' if Mexico isn't too far? Chile? Would it be practical to buy a vehicle, drive to south america, do a first ascent and then donate the vehicle to a good cause and fly back? Who knows, all I do know right now is that the region around Potrero Chico looks amazing and my spanish needs a lot of work before this gringo tries to blend in.

No comments:

Post a Comment